Excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, can impact nearly all aspects of your life. If you are experiencing symptoms of heavy or excessive sweating or you’ve been wondering, “do I have hyperhidrosis?”, our expert surgeons can help formulate an effective, individualized treatment plan for you.
The Hyperhidrosis Center of Excellence is a part of La Peer Health Systems in Los Angeles. Headed up by renowned hyperhidrosis doctors Dr. Mahtabifard and Dr. Fuller, we routinely diagnose and treat patients for hyperhidrosis. The extensive training our surgeons have received in minimally invasive thoracic procedures far surpasses that of general surgeons, and makes Dr. Mahtabifard and Dr. Fuller uniquely qualified to perform hyperhidrosis surgery. For more information or to schedule a consultation with a hyperhidrosis expert, contact us today at (888) 349-1398.
Do I Have an Excessive Sweating Problem?
Many people with excessive sweating do not realize that they are suffering from hyperhidrosis, a highly treatable excessive sweating condition. Some medications or other medical conditions can cause excessive sweating. Consult with a hyperhidrosis expert if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- Excessive and symmetrical sweating (same amount on both sides of body)
- Sweating impairs daily activities
- Onset of excessive sweating is earlier than age 25
- Family history of hyperhidrosis
One Past Hyperhidrosis Patient’s Story
Comprehensive Diagnostic Exam for Excessive Sweating
A diagnostic exam for profuse sweating is the first step towards finding relief from your symptoms as it can help determine the cause of your excessive sweating. Our facility offers a team of surgeons specializing in the comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of hyperhidrosis.
A history and physical examination is often the most insightful method used for the diagnosis of the condition and will be performed by a thoracic surgeon. During the examination, physical symptoms or a family history of excessive sweating will be noted. Details about your sweating that can help achieve an accurate diagnosis include:
- The location of your excessive sweating (hands, feet, armpits, face, or all over)
- When does your sweating occur, and is it triggered by some event or activity?
- Other symptoms besides sweating
In addition to a history and physical examination, one or two tests may also be used to diagnose excessive sweating that is caused by hyperhidrosis.
- Starch-iodine test – An iodine solution is applied to the sweaty area and allowed to dry. Afterward, starch is sprinkled on the area, and the starch-iodine combination turns a dark blue color wherever there is excess sweat.
- Paper test – Special paper is placed on the affected area to absorb the sweat, and then weighed to measure sweat accumulation.
Treatment for excessive sweating will depend on the findings of your comprehensive diagnostic exam. Fortunately, there are several conservative therapies and minimally invasive procedures that can provide considerable relief from overactive sweat glands.
Contact an Excessive Sweating Expert in Los Angeles
At the Hyperhidrosis Center of Excellence, our team of thoracic surgeons are committed to providing comprehensive, individualized treatment plans for each patient. To schedule a consultation at our Los Angeles center, please call (888) 349-1398 or fill out our contact form.
Next, read about the causes of hyperhidrosis.